- Determine your purpose for buying life insurance. Is it to pay off debt, eliminate mortgages, pay funeral expenses, or an inheritance to your family?
- Gather all current medications/ prescriptions including medications that have not been refilled.
- Have your primary care doctor’s name, address, and telephone number available in case they need to be contacted for additional information or medical records.
- Know your driving record. Believe it or not, driving history is considered when applying for a policy. Make sure you have accurate dates of any convictions, moving violations or suspensions.
- Choose two beneficiaries: one is a primary beneficiary, the person to whom you desire to leave the life insurance proceeds; the other is the secondary beneficiary. The secondary beneficiary is the person who would receive your life insurance proceeds in the event the primary beneficiary is no longer living. Otherwise, you risk your benefit being left to the state.
- Be clear on your budget.
- Know your proper checking account and bank routing numbers for payment. Most insurance companies do not accept debit or credit card numbers, and most financial institutions do not give this information over the phone.
- Know what type of policy you are applying for term, universal, or whole life each has its own stipulations.
I hope you have found this list helpful when preparing for your life insurance appointment. If you follow these steps you will ensure a more pleasant and streamlined experience. Do you have questions about applying for life insurance? List them below and I will do my best answer them for you. Would you like a quote for life insurance? Email me at: email@example.com.